Wednesday, February 08, 2006
Monday, February 06, 2006
- So has the battle been won?
- At least in this part of the world?
- Can we all go back home victorious and wait for the food to appear on the table?
- Not so fast. Just switch on the television set, or read one of those “lifestyle” pieces (remember Maureen Dowd’s book?) that seem to appear with astonishing regularity in the NY Times? Or just look around you. How many of your co-workers slipped into suburban obscurity over the past few years?
- Can we really deny that in this country, we are still “taught to pity the neurotic, unfeminine, unhappy women who wanted to be poets or physicists or presidents?”
- Can we really claim that we as a society don’t measure a woman’s worth by the man she ends up with?
And until a day arrives when we can make that claim, here or in any other part of the world, Betty Friedan’s work is not finished. The torch just passes on to you and me. Update: Do read R~’s tribute to Friedan at Locana. posted by Veena @ 3:59 PM 0 comments